Monday, April 11, 2011

New Fleece





Well, I needed to keep the carder working, so I got on Ebay and bought a fleece from Worland, Wyoming. Three hundred miles north of my alma mater in Laramie.

The 6.5 pound (that is a lot of wool!!) fleece is from a 5 year old ewe whose father was a registered Columbia ram and whose mother was an old Rambouillet range ewe from the Broke Back mountain area. My fleece's ewe has been a good mother to three sets of twins and she should have her lambs any day now.  The fleece is very springy, lively and fun.  Some of it was so crimpy that I had to get of photo of it.  And, the fleece is really pretty soft.   It dyes beautifully.  I spun some "in the grease" and it was very fun.  I washed out about a third of the box.  Some of the washed wool is shown in the last photo above.  The box was packed tight.  It was so big that I wondered if the sheep was in there and I listened for sounds.  I got a great price on Ebay and am wondering if I should send them more money.

No comments: