Saturday, March 19, 2011

Dyeing Again

 I am getting the suri alpaca roving (from Nancy!!) ready for the microwave.  The roving was first soaked in vinegar water.
Then the roving is rolled up in Saran wrap and put on a plate and microwaved.

I was also dyeing some merino wool roving in jars.  Very easy!  It looks like a jar of yummy pickled peaches.  But, it isn't!

 After the alpaca cooled to room temp and sat all night to absorb any more dye, I rinsed it in cool water. 


I dried it over my flat leafed Italian parsley (doesn't everyone have one in their sunroom for Italian cooking?? And, roasted red and sweet potatoes??)  and palm tree.

Then I predrafted it a bit and rolled it into a ball.  Ready to spin!  This is a 2 oz. ball.  Each little microwave bun was 2 oz.  I sometimes put more in a wool bun.  But, I wanted to make sure this was cooked really good as sometimes alpaca is a bit stubborn to take the dye.

No comments: